Keith Henry Brown got his start drawing superheroes, but music has always been his true inspiration. He has worked as a designer for advertising agencies and high profile music-related projects, including creating posters for Jazz Appreciation Month for the Museum of American History and The Newport Jazz Festival, and creating jazz album covers for artists such as Christian McBride, Kevin Eubanks, Toshiko Akiyoshi and Wynton Marsalis. Keith’s first children’s book, Birth of The Cool: How Miles Davis Found His Sound, was published by Page Street Books in 2019 and received a Starred Review from Kirkus.
Born and raised in Staten Island, Keith is father to two magnificent boys, Cole and Satchel (whom he affectionately calls his “two knuckleheads”) and lives and works in Brooklyn, surrounded by his favorite Spider-man, Batman and Black Panther action figures.
Awards / Honors
- 2023 Bank Street College’s Best Books of the Year- Because of You, John Lewis
- 2023 CBC Children’s Favorites Award List- Because of You, John Lewis
- 2022 Kirkus Best Picture Books of the Year list – Because of You, John Lewis
- 2022 Chicago Public Library Best Books of the Year – Because of You, John Lewis
- 2022 American Illustration 41 – 2 pieces from the Columbia Journalism Review
- 2022 Junior Library Guild Selection – Because of You, John Lewis
- 2022 Amazon Best Book of the Month, Ages 6-8 – Because of You, John Lewis
- Two Starred Reviews (Kirkus, SLJ) – Because of You, John Lewis
- 2020 Bank Street College Best Children’s Books – Birth of The Cool
- Starred Review (Kirkus) – Birth of The Cool